Monday, July 27, 2020

After a painful back injury Northwestern State's JeMarcus Marshall finds that it feels good to give back

JeMarcus Marshall suffered a painful, gruesome back injury during his sophomore season at Northwestern State. Still, he never stopped giving back to his community.

Marshall, a Monroe native, found a passion working with the Boys & Girls Club once he got to Natchitoches. Defensive backs coach De'Von Lockett brought it to Marshall's attention that he could get paid for mentoring children at the Boys and Girls club —  so while most college kids spend their spring break partying, Marshall spent his spring break in Monroe helping in flood recovery efforts in his neighborhood.

He made his mark as a freshman in 2013 with 8½ sacks and later made the Southland Conference Academic Honor Roll. He is a possible candidate for the American Football Coaches Association Good Works Team, which recognizes players who perform community service.

As the 6-foot-4, 255-pound Marshall enters his senior season, he is excited to take on the leadership role. He has already earned his bachelor's degree and is now in grad school.

Demons coach Jay Thomas sees his defensive end as a leader of the locker room.

“I am very proud for him being in graduate school,” Thomas said. “He does such a wonderful job with community service and he is in the top of the conference at it. He is always looking to give back.”

But his time in college hasn't always been rosy.

After the Demons' third game in 2014, Marshall suffered a season-ending back injury. Marshall said he does not remember how it happened; he just remembers not being able to feel his leg after the third game against Southern that year. He underwent an MRI, and doctors told him he had a bulging disc.

"The most adversity I’ve ever faced was during my back surgery," Marshall said, "and there were times I thought I wouldn’t play again.

“I would be in pain randomly, and I wouldn’t understand why. And that kept me motivated because I knew my career couldn’t end this soon. I wanted to keep going. I overcame it and build up my strength.”

It took a lot of prayer and meditation, Marshall said — not to mention work. Physical therapy and teammates helped Marshall keep his head up.

“Hearing those guys on my side made me believe I can come back,” Marshall said.

After a full recovery, Marshall played in 11 games last season, starting the final five. He picked up 28 tackles second-best on the team among defensive lineman.

During Marshall’s free time, he would go to the Boys and Girls club to help the kids with their homework and play different sports with them.

“The small things are what the kids really enjoy,” Marshall said. “They felt like they are learning from me, but I've been learning a lot from them. I love being around the kids, and I enjoy watching how they develop.”

No comments:

Post a Comment